The journey for Angelman Syndrome and fashion begins with the founder of Fashion Designers’ and Craft Makers’ Network, Joanna Marcella. This journey will bring hope and dreams to many young designers and children.
The children with Angelman Syndrome suffer from:
- Energetic movement
- The mutual fascination of all things shiny – including water
- Profound special needs
- Lack of verbal skills
- Sleep disturbance
- Motor difficulties
- Around the clock care
- Difficulty suckling
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Delayed crawling
Marcella states, “I have a grandson living with Angelman Syndrome and after watching an interview given by the Hollywood actor Colin Farrell (whose son has Angelman Syndrome) where he took the opportunity to harness the power of the media to raise awareness. I was encouraged to use the power of fashion industry to raise more awareness.” FAST (Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics) brings together a multidisciplinary team of more than two-dozen scientists from top research universities and pharmaceutical companies.
Angelman Syndrome has been cured multiple ways in mice, and scientists progression they are making is nothing short of thrilling. As diverse as our Angelman community is, we are all united in one goal: a better future for our children. FAST is committed to bringing life-changing treatments to clinical trials within two years, but we need your help. The young designers are a part of a movement to cure a rare severe neurological condition called Angelman Syndrome.
The young designers are ages 9-25 years. The vision is to present an international platform for dynamic young designers. This is to assist them to find their niche as individuals and become a brand in their own right. Increasing the numbers and visibility of young and exceptionally gifted multi-cultural designers. Then encourage them to reach their true potential, by rewarding those who excel both creatively and academically.
The designers for this year’s fashion event succeed the vision and mission of FDC Young Designer Awards. The designers attending this year:
- Kyle Denman
- Grand Prize Winner of the Project Runway Remake It Work Contes
- Hawwaa Ibrahim
- Keeps classic silhouettes of the 1950s and 1960s fashion while modernizing them with adding fun colors and patterns.
- Paula Prodan
- Paula Prodan is the young Moldovan woman who brings seduction, luxury and indulgence to the life of women.
- Chanette Laing
- Freelance designer and fashion atelier
- Kymberly Achuba – Designs By K.Y.
- Embraces the heritage, culture, and fashions of African descents – with an urban and street style.
- Toni Lyn Spaziano – Chances R Designs
- Classic contemporary clothing to women of all ages.
- Flavia Loraque – Flavia
- Ideal for women with a great deal of personality, women who are bold and enjoy dressing up.
- Omobolaji Onaolapo – NIIFFE
- A mix of easy sophistication and individuality—it is a city girl chic.
- Taylor Love – Taylor Love Couture
- Inclusivity vs. exclusivity and her line is both androgynous and versatile
- Sabina Lisievici – Sabina Lisievici
- Avant-garde style, which would become an inspiration for many other future artists and designers.
- Jean Fredeling – 3rdeye Brand
- Contemporary casual handcrafted artistically fashionable.
- Szilvia Juhász – JC Collection
The designers are from USA, Romania, Nigeria, Spain, Hungary, and the UK. They will present innovative original fashion collections. There will also be LaMonique Cosmetics an eco-conscious cosmetics company and Sharon D. Bankhead – Paparazzi Accessories will be exhibiting. The event is at The Paul Hotel Boutique 32 West 29th Street NYC April 28, 2018, 2-6 PM. Proceeds will go to (FAST) Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics. Purchase tickets here.
Connect with FAST here:
Connect with The Paul Hotel Here
Connect with Paparazzi Accessories Here