Festival De Cannes® will present the Palme d’or film award, the top award at Cannes. This year marks the 71st year this film festival continues to influence film worldwide. There are 22 films official selected for Palme d’or film award.
Jury Palme D’Or Festival De Cannes®
Palme d’or film award jury is presided over by Cate Blanchett, Australian actress, and producer. She fields lots of questions about gender and the festival during the opening press conference. Festival De Cannes® chose only 3 women directors to present this year. She says, “Three female directors in the competition earned their spots.” She goes on to say, “Being attractive does not preclude being intelligent.” Five women and four men from seven nationalities and four continents join her at Festival De Cannes®:
- Chang Chen (Chinese Actor)
- Chang Chen made his film debut in the late Edward Yang’s A Brighter Summer Day. He rose to fame in the Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in 2000.
- Ava DuVernay (American writer, director, producer)
- Nominated for the Academy Award and Golden Globe and winner of the BAFTA and EMMY, Ava DuVernay is a writer, director, producer and film distributor known for the historical drama Selma(2014)
- Robert Guédiguian (French director, writer, producer)
- The work of Robert Guédiguian, an activist filmmaker, celebrates the city of Marseille where he grew up. Acclaimed by critics when he first started directing in the 80s, he met public success with Marius and Jeannette, which won the Prix Louis-Delluc in 1997.
- Khadja Nin (Burundian songwriter, composer, singer)
- Youngest of a family of eight Khadja Nin studied music at an early age, before leaving Africa to go to Europe. Her albums are a mix of occidental pop music, African and afro-cuban rhythms.
- Léa Seydoux (French actress)
- Rising to fame with Christophe Honoré’s The Beautiful Personin 2008, Léa Seydoux is an award-winning actress, notably the Palme d’or for Abdelatif Kechiche’s Blue is the Warmest Colour in 2013.
- Kristen Stewart (American actress)
- Kristen Stewart has been playing roles since an early age and received widespread recognition in 2008 for The TwilightSaga film series (2008–12).
- Denis Villeneuve (Canadian director, writer)
- Internationally renowned and recently two-time Academy Award winner for Blade Runner 2049, Denis Villeneuve made his debut at the National Film Board of Canada in the early 90’s.
- Andrey Zvyagintsev (Russian director, writer)
- Multi-award winning filmmaker Andreï Zvyagintsev has already become one of the most respected directors in Russian and international cinema. He directed his first feature film in 2003 The Return, which won him a Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.
Palme d’or In Competition Festival De Cannes®
This year’s official Festival De Cannes® selection for the Palme d’or is highly anticipated and exceptional films. Films come from all over the world representing top directing and actors. Jury members bring a strong influence from their careers, strong backgrounds and talent that is an asset to this choice of the best film.
This year’s Festival De Cannesz® official choice for the Palme d’or is highly anticipated and exceptional films. These nominated films come from all over the world representing top directing and actors include:
- Asghar FARHADI TODOS LO SABEN (EVERYBODY KNOWS)
- Stéphane BRIZÉ AT WAR
- Nuri Bilge CEYLAN AHLAT AGACI (THE WILD PEAR TREE)
- Sergey DVORTSEVOY AYKA
- Matteo GARRONE DOGMAN
- Jean-Luc GODARD LE LIVRE D’IMAGE (THE IMAGE BOOK)
- Yann GONZALEZ KNIFE + HEART
- Ryusuke HAMAGUCHI NETEMO SAMETEMO (ASAKO I & II) (ASAKO I & II)
- Christophe HONORÉ SORRY ANGEL
- Eva HUSSON GIRLS OF THE SUN
- JIA Zhang-Ke JIANG HU ER NV (ASH IS PUREST WHITE)
- KORE-EDA Hirokazu MANBIKI KAZOKU (SHOPLIFTERS)
- Nadine LABAKI CAPERNAUM
- LEE Chang-Dong BURNING
- Spike LEE BLACKKKLANSMAN
- David Robert MITCHELL UNDER THE SILVER LAKE
- Jafar PANAHI SE ROKH (THREE FACES)
- Pawel PAWLIKOWSKI ZIMNA WOJNA (COLD WAR)
- Alice ROHRWACHER LAZZARO FELICE (HAPPY AS LAZZARO)
- Kirill SEREBRENNIKOV LETO
- A.B. SHAWKY YOMEDDINE 1st film
- Terry GILLIAM THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE
You can see the screening guide for Festival De Cannes® here. This award is announced May 19 at the film festival closing ceremony.
This 71st year will continue to evolve film worldwide. Stay tuned here for coverage of Festival De Cannes® from fashion, red carpet, actresses/actors, and films.
Festival De Cannes® connections here: